Where to go for consumer help

It can be confusing deciding who to contact when you have a consumer problem. This page provides information about where to go for consumer help.

The business

The first place to contact is the business itself. The owner, manager, or customer service contact is often able to fix the problem quickly.


Contact the ACCC for information about your consumer rights and obligations, and possible courses of action you might take. While we don’t resolve individual complaints, we will use the information you provide to help us understand what issues are causing the most harm to Australian business and consumers, and where to focus our compliance and enforcement efforts.

Other helpful agencies

A number of other helpful agencies provide advice, dispute resolution and small claims legal services. Additionally, there are other regulators and government agencies that can provide information and assistance on matters related to different sectors.

Industry ombudsmen and dispute resolution

Some industries have a national ombudsman, such as the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman and the Financial Industry Ombudsman. Other industries, such as energy, have industry ombudsmen and dispute resolution offices in each state and territory.

State and territory consumer protection agency

Your local state and territory consumer protection agency, sometimes called 'consumer affairs' or 'fair trading', can provide you with information about your rights and options. They may also be able to help negotiate a resolution between you and the seller.

State and territory small claims tribunals

You may be entitled to take your complaint to your local state and territory small claims tribunal. Your local tribunal can advise you on their dispute resolution processes and how to lodge a claim.

Other regulators and government agencies

You can contact other helpful regulators and government agencies in different sectors to receive information and help about issues or complaints regarding specific sectors.

Legal advice

Consider getting independent legal advice about what options are available and suit your circumstances.

Make sure that you get legal advice first, as legal action can be expensive and there is no guarantee that you will be successful.

If you're unsure what to do

If you can’t resolve the problem with the relevant business, contact the ACCC or your local consumer protection agency for advice on what you can do next.

More information

Complaints & enquiries
Make a consumer complaint