Our employees enjoy the ACCC’s motivating and flexible work environment which reflects our values of being independent, expert, strategic and trustworthy.
We develop our employees through initiatives such as the Graduate Program, learning and development programs and the newly formed employee rotation program. Our highly experienced employees also share their knowledge through providing mentoring and specialised training.
We benefit from the strengths of a workforce that reflects the diversity of the Australian community and we encourage applications from people with a disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and those from other diverse backgrounds. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment that supports staff to reach their full potential.
Our employees are engaged under the Public Service Act 1999 and are subject to the terms and conditions of employment as specified in the ACCC’s Enterprise Agreement 2016-2019.
We offer attractive rewards and benefits to eligible employees, including:
- highly competitive rates of pay and 15.4% superannuation
- four weeks annual leave each year with the option to purchase additional annual leave
- personal leave and paid maternity leave
- office shutdown between the Christmas and New Year period
- flexible working arrangements such as part-time work, flexible hours of work, and working from home
- access to salary sacrificing
- access to studies assistance.
We provide a safe, healthy workplace and strongly support a healthy workforce by offering a range of activities and initiatives. We are dedicated to a respectful, harassment and bullying free workforce.
The ACCC recognises that the mental health and wellbeing of our employees is exceptionally important. Our Mental Health Strategy includes a range of initiatives designed to build capability, knowledge and acceptance in managers and employees in dealing with mental health issues.
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is a short-term, confidential, professional counselling service available to all departmental employees and their immediate families.
In recognition of the benefits of a healthy lifestyle, we also provide a reimbursement of up to $300 per annum as a one off payment each financial year for healthy lifestyle related expenses.
The ACCC is committed to a workplace that reflects the community we serve. We recognise that diversity brings a range of experiences, perspectives, and ideas to our workplace.
We value employees from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. We encourage everyone to freely be themselves without fear of discrimination or judgement about their ancestry, age, religion, sexuality or disability status.
The ACCC and AER Diversity Strategy 2015-2017 incorporates the ACCC and AER:
- Reconciliation Action Plan incorporating strategies to increase employment of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Disability Action Plan incorporating strategies to increase employment of people with a disability
- ACCC and AER Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex Employee Ally Network of over 100 Allies responsible for championing workplace diversity across our agency
- Annual organisational Diversity Program of Events.
The strategy also incorporates support for flexible working conditions (such as part-time work and working from home), promotes gender equity and ensures older employees are able to continue to contribute to the workforce.
We have partnered with several leading diversity workplace providers to ensure the agency receives best practice advice in achieving our diversity goals. These include:
- Reconciliation Australia who assist with our Reconciliation Action Plan
- Australian Network on Disability and the National Disability Recruitment Coordinator who assist us in ensuring our work practices are inclusive of employees with disabilities
- Pride in Diversity who are Australia’s first and only national not-for-profit employer support program for all aspects of LGBTI workplace inclusion.
- Australian Public Service Commission which has whole-of-government responsibility for workplace diversity.
We have a number of social responsibility programs and policies in place.
The ACCC operates with minimal impact on resources and the environment by factoring in the economic, environmental, social and equitable considerations over both the short and long term. We are committed to reducing our environmental impact in a range of areas, including property, information technology, waste management, information and education.
The ACCC Workplace Giving Program allows employees to donate to selected charities directly from their pay. Donations are made through the employee’s pre-tax salary so that the tax benefit is claimed through their payroll, rather than through an annual tax refund.