Held every winter, the ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference brings together industry participants, policy makers, academics, and regulators from around the world to hear and discuss the latest ideas about the theory and practice of regulation.
The conference will be held on Thursday 26th and the morning of Friday 27th July at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre, South Bank, Brisbane.
The theme of the 2018 conference is New Frontiers in Regulation.
Speakers at the conference will include:
- Peter Harris, Chair, Productivity Commission
- David Greig, Strategy Director, New Zealand Ministry of Transport
- Eliana Garcés, Principal, The Brattle Group, Washington
- Stephen Littlechild, Fellow, Judge Business School, University of Cambridge and Emeritus Professor, University of Birmingham
- David Brown, Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, University of Alberta
- Mar Beltran, Senior Director, Infrastructure Sector, S&P Global Ratings, Madrid
- Luigi Carbone, Judge of the Supreme Administrative Court of Italy, and former Commissioner of the Italian Regulatory Authority for Electricity, Gas and Water
- Leanne Hanna, Senior Legal Counsel, Simply Energy
- Pat McCafferty, Managing Director, Yarra Valley Water
- Iain Walker, Executive Director, newDemocracy
- Ruth C A Higgins SC, Barrister, Banco Chambers
Topics covered will include:
- Regulation of digital and intangible assets
- Expanding the role of consumers in regulatory determinations
- What implications do the interplay of provider of “last resort” obligations and changing technology have for best-practice regulation?
- Economic regulation of PPP infrastructure
- International update on current regulatory issues, and implications for Australia
- After merits review – collaboration or expanded judicial review?
Registration for the conference is now open. The cost to attend the conference is $1500 per delegate, or $1400 per delegate for 3 or more people from the same organisation.
See: Online registrations
A full refund is available for cancellations notified no later than COB Monday 16 July. After that date, organisations are able to substitute another delegate in place of the person registered for the conference.
Please send details of any cancellations or change of delegate to firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration for the conference does not include accommodation.
Rydges Hotel South Bank (which is adjacent to the BCEC) is offering a 10% discount off its Best Flexible Rate at the time of booking. Bookings can be made directly via the Rydges website or by calling 07 3364 0800 (please let your Reservations Representative know the Conference Name and Venue you are attending). Rates are subject to availability at the time of booking and the discount may not be used in conjunction with any other offer. A 24 hour cancelation policy applies to all reservations. Any bookings cancelled after 2pm the day prior will incur a charge equivalent to one night’s accommodation.
There are also numerous other accommodation options within a 10 minute walk of the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre.
Updates about the conference will be sent to the ACCC’s Regulatory Community email group. If you would like to be added to the group please email email@example.com
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2017
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2016
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2015
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2014
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2013
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2012
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2011
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2010
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2009
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2008
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2007
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2006
- ACCC Regulatory Conference 2005
- ACCC Regulatory Conference 2004
- ACCC Regulatory Conference 2003
- ACCC Regulatory Conference 2002
- ACCC Regulatory Conference 2001
- ACCC Regulatory Conference 1999
- ACCC Regulatory Conference 1998