Held every winter, this conference brings together industry participants, policy makers, academics and regulators from around the world to hear and discuss the latest ideas about the theory and practice of regulation.
The 2022 ACCC & AER regulatory conference will be held as a hybrid event in 2022 on Thursday 4 August and the morning of Friday 5 August at the W Hotel, 81 North Quay, Brisbane. For those wishing to attend virtually, the conference will be hosted online using the Remo platform and in partnership with W Hotel.
Speakers at the conference will include:
- Julie Abramson, Commissioner, Productivity Commission
- Severin Borenstein, Professor, UC Berkeley and E.T. Grether Chair in Business Administration and Public Policy
- James Bushnell, Professor Economics, University of California Davis
- Wendy Craik, board member Reserve Bank of Australia
- Catherine de Fontenay, Commissioner, Productivity Commission
- Carmel Donnelly, Chair, IPART
- Lynn Gallagher, CEO, Energy Consumers Australia
- Joshua Gans, Professor, Jeffrey S. Skoll Chair of Technical Innovation and Entrepreneurship, University of Toronto
- Eva Heims, Senior Lecturer, Department of Politics, University of York
- Phillip Marsden, Professor of Law and Economics, College of Europe, Bruges; CRA, Europe
- Graeme Samuel, A4ANZ and former Chairman, ACCC
- Carl Shapiro, Professor, UC Berkeley and former DAAG for Economics Antitrust Division
- Ruth Steinholtz, Founder, AretéWork and co-author of Ethical Business and Regulation
- Catherine Tucker, Sloan Distinguished Professor of Management Science and Professor of Marketing, MIT
- John Thwaites, Professorial Fellow at Monash University Chair - Melbourne Water
- Rose Webb Chair, ANZSOG National Regulators Community of Practice
- Danielle Wood, CEO Grattan Institute
- John M Yun, Professor, George Mason University - Antonin Scalia Law School, Faculty
While the program is still being finalised, topics covered will include:
- Future regulation of the electricity sector
- Future regulation of digital platforms
- Privatisation and appropriate regulatory settings
- Do we need ex ante regulation of digital platforms?
- How best can we incorporate environmental objectives into economic regulation
- How behavioural insights can contribute to positive regulatory outcomes for consumers
- Ethical business regulation – a panacea for regulatory capture?
Registration for the conference is now open. The cost to attend the conference is $1500 per delegate, or $1400 per delegate for groups of five or more. Registration for online attendance is $300 per person or $280 for groups of five or more.
See: Online registrations
A full refund is available for cancellations notified no later than COB Friday 22 July. After that date, organisations are able to substitute another delegate in place of the person registered for the conference. Please send details of any cancellations or change of delegate to Regulatory.Conference@accc.gov.au.
Please note that registration does not include accommodation.
The W Hotel is offering the Regulatory Community a special group rate for your stay during the conference and you can book your conference specific rate through the following link. Alternatively you can book by calling W Hotel Brisbane on 07 3556 8888. Please inform the W Hotel that you are booking for the Regulatory conference.
There are also numerous other accommodation options within a short walk of the W Hotel Brisbane.
Updates about the conference will be sent to the ACCC’s Regulatory Community email group. If you would like to be added to the group please email RegulatoryCommunity@accc.gov.au.
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2021
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2020
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2019
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2018
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2017
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2016
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2015
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2014
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2013
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2012
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2011
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2010
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2009
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2008
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2007
- ACCC/AER Regulatory Conference 2006
- ACCC Regulatory Conference 2005
- ACCC Regulatory Conference 2004
- ACCC Regulatory Conference 2003
- ACCC Regulatory Conference 2002
- ACCC Regulatory Conference 2001
- ACCC Regulatory Conference 1999
- ACCC Regulatory Conference 1998