- Tasman Group Services Pty Ltd
SummaryJBS Southern Australia Pty Ltd, a company related to Swift Australia Pty Ltd, proposal to acquire Tasman Group Services Pty Ltd.
Market definitionThe ACCC considered relevant markets for:
- the acquisition of fat cattle in Victoria, South Australia and New South Wales (south of Dubbo), possibly including Tasmania (the Fat Cattle Market); and
- the sale of processed beef in Australia (the Processed Beef Market).
Competition analysisThe ACCC considered that the proposed acquisition was unlikely to substantially lessen competition in the relevant markets. Factors informing this conclusion included:
- the geographical overlap between the merger parties was such that the number of fat cattle acquired by the merged entity in the relevant markets would likely increase by only a marginal amount;
- the availability of substitutes from other similar sized meat processors; and
- the ability for the major grocery chains to exercise countervailing power by way of their service kill arrangements.
|05/03/2008||Merger parties announce the proposed acquisition.|
|14/03/2008||ACCC commenced review under the Merger Review Process Guidelines.|
|31/03/2008||Closing date for submissions from interested parties.|
|23/04/2008||ACCC announced it would not oppose the proposed acquisition.|