• Monash IVF Group Limited


  • Fertility North Holdings Pty Ltd


On 19 December 2023, Monash IVF announced its intention to purchase 80% of the Fertility North entity with an option to acquire the remaining 20% in the future by way of Share Sale Agreement.

Monash IVF is an ASX listed company (ASX:MVF) that offers a range of specialist fertility, diagnostic obstetric and gynaecological ultrasound treatments to patients in Australia and South East Asia. In Australia, Monash IVF owns and operates several different brands including Monash IVF, Repromed and Fertility Solutions. The Monash IVF and Repromed brands operate as suppliers of full-service IVF services. Fertility Solutions operates as a supplier of full-service and low-cost IVF services.

In Perth, Monash IVF owns PIVET, which operates out of PIVET Medical Centre in Leederville in central Perth. Monash IVF acquired PIVET in 2023. PIVET offers full-service fertility services.

Fertility North is a fertility services provider located at Ramsay Joondalup Private Hospital in Joondalup, approximately 29km north of Perth CBD. It offers both full-service and low-cost IVF services.

Market definition

The ACCC considered the impact of the proposed acquisition in the market for the supply of fertility services (including IVF) in the metropolitan region of Perth.

It was not necessary for the ACCC to form a concluded view in relation to the precise product and geographic scope of this market, as it would not significantly alter the assessment.

Competition analysis

The ACCC concluded that the proposed acquisition is not likely to substantially lessen competition in any market in Australia.

Monash IVF and Fertility North overlap in the supply of fertility services in Perth.

The ACCC’s investigation focused on the closeness of competition between Monash IVF and Fertility North, the likelihood of new entry, and whether Monash IVF was likely to significantly alter its service offerings post-acquisition.

The market for the supply of fertility services in Perth is relatively concentrated. However, the ACCC concluded that sufficient competitive constraint will remain post-acquisition to prevent a substantial lessening of competition.

Monash IVF will face continued competition from the remaining established competitors in Perth, with a mix of low-cost and full-service offerings. In addition, Monash IVF will face competition from an additional very recent new entrant, providing low-cost services.

The ACCC also found it is unlikely there will be any change to the low-cost IVF services offered by Fertility North as a result of the acquisition.

Market inquiries


Date Event

ACCC commenced informal review under the Informal Merger Review Process Guidelines.

Closing date for submissions.

ACCC announced it would not oppose the proposed acquisition.