- Sunshine Cinemas Pty Ltd
Market definitionThe ACCC considered the proposed acquisition in the context of the following relevant markets:
- the exhibition of film in a cinema on a local basis;
- the exhibition of digital slide cinema advertising and filmed cinema advertising on a local and national basis, respectively; and
- the national acquisition of film product from distributors for exhibition at a cinema.
Competition analysisThe ACCC considered that the proposed acquisition was unlikely to substantially lessen competition in the relevant markets due to:
- the limited overlap between the customer catchment areas of the target cinema and the acquirer's nearest cinema at Maroochydore;
- the small incremental increase in total advertising exhibited by Amalgamated Holdings Limited in Australia as a result of the proposed acquisition; and
- the small incremental increase in Amalgamated Holdings Limited's acquisition of film product from distributors in Australia as a result of the proposed acquisition.
|11/05/2010||ACCC commenced review under the Merger Review Process Guidelines.|
|25/05/2010||Closing date for submissions from interested parties. ACCC requested further information from the acquirer. ACCC timeline suspended.|
|01/06/2010||ACCC received further information from the acquirer. ACCC timeline recommenced.|
|15/06/2010||ACCC announced it would not oppose the proposed acquisition.|