The ACCC monitors and reports on competition in the telecommunications industry.
What the ACCC does
- We collect information to monitor competition, track market developments, and inform regulatory decisions.
- We publish reports on the communications market and specific topics using the data and information we collect.
- We meet requests by the Minister to monitor or report on an aspect of competition in the telecommunications industry.
What the ACCC can't do
- We don’t set the retail prices of telecommunications.
We collect information to monitor competition, track market developments, and inform regulatory decisions.
We collect information from:
- telecommunication providers through record keeping rules
- carriers and carriage service providers on specific functions and communication matters, under powers provided to us by legislation
- Telstra on retail pricing information for basic carriage services. This is required by tariff filing powers in Part XIB, Division 5 of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010
- Telstra on Structural Separation Undertaking compliance reports.
We produce a report each year on:
- competition in the Australian telecommunications sector
- changes in the prices paid by consumers for telecommunications services.
We do this to promote transparency and support competition in markets.
The report uses:
- data sourced through our monitoring activities
- information that telecommunications providers must provide as part of record keeping rules, undertakings or legislation.
We must publish the report on our website by 31 December each year.
- Quarterly snapshot of the Telstra’s services including the unconditioned local loop service, line sharing service, and digital subscriber line
- Telstra's compliance with the price control arrangements, produced until 2013-14
- Telstra Structural Separation Undertaking and migration plan reporting
Broadband performance reports
The Measuring Broadband Australia program provides Australian consumers with accurate and independent information about broadband performance to help in their purchasing decisions.
Some reports we publish are prepared by providers as part of their record keeping, reporting and legislative obligations.
- Digital radio services reports
- NBN Co reports