- The ACCC monitors retail prices of unleaded petrol, diesel and LPG in Australian capital cities and in more than 190 regional locations.
- We produce monitoring reports and reports on specific issues in the industry.
The ACCC monitors retail prices of unleaded petrol, diesel and LPG in Australian capital cities and in more than 190 regional locations. This allows us to provide you with fuel price information such as petrol price cycles in Australia's larger cities.
We also monitor prices, costs and profits related to the supply of petroleum products in Australia. This is carried out under a Ministerial direction that started on 19 December 2019 and extended our monitoring activity for a further 3 years.
Monitoring fuel prices following the cut in fuel excise
The ACCC acknowledges the Federal Budget announcement of a six-month reduction in fuel excise from 30 March 2022. We are monitoring fuel prices following this cut in fuel excise.
See Monitoring fuel prices following the excise cut for the latest information.
Quarterly petrol monitoring reports
We prepare petrol monitoring reports every 3 months. Reports focus on price movements in capital cities and 190 regional locations across Australia.
Petrol industry reports
We produce petrol industry reports on issues of interest to consumers or significant to industry.
Past petrol market studies
Past annual monitoring reports
In previous years, we have commissioned reports on fuel-related issues.
- Benchmarking the price of fuel ethanol in Australia - July 2010
- The method and basis of the setting of the import parity price (IPP) for unleaded petrol and diesel in Australia - October 2009
- Review of the appropriateness of the current LPG international benchmark in the setting of domestic LPG prices - October 2009