In line with section 152ALA(7) of the Trade Practices Act 1974 (TPA), the ACCC must hold a public inquiry in the 12 months prior to the expiry date of a declaration (this has now been amended to 18 months). Therefore, the ACCC initiated a public inquiry into the declarations of the:
- unconditioned local loop service (ULLS)
- line sharing service (LSS)
- public switched telephone network originating access (PSTN OA)
- public switched terminating access (PSTN TA)
- wholesale line rental (WLR)
- local carriage service (LCS)
- that were due to expire 31 July 2009.
In addition, in May 2007, the ACCC commenced an inquiry under s. 152AL of the TPA into whether to vary the ULLS declaration. This inquiry was suspended in April 2008. The ACCC was of the view that it was appropriate that the ULLS variation inquiry and the new inquiry should also be combined in line with s. 152AN.