On 31 August 2018, the ACCC released a public consultation paper and position paper commencing a public inquiry into whether the following six fixed line services should continue to be declared:
- unconditioned local loop service (ULLS)
- line sharing service (LSS)
- wholesale line rental (WLR)
- local carriage service (LCS)
- fixed originating access service (FOAS, formerly PSTN OA)
- fixed terminating access service (FTAS, formerly PSTN TA).
Under the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 the ACCC must review the current fixed line service declaration before it expires in July 2019.
On 26 November 2018 the ACCC released a report of its final decision to extend declaration of the fixed line services until 30 June 2024.