Using and navigating the guide
This guide provides an overview of the key parts of the ACL, including:
- misleading or deceptive conduct
- false or misleading claims
- consumer guarantees
- unfair contract terms
- unsolicited consumer agreements.
This guide also provides examples of conduct that is likely to breach the ACL and practical tips for advertising and selling. It addresses marketing techniques and channels including:
- ‘was/now’ or ‘strike through’ pricing
- reviews and testimonials
- online group buying.
It also provides guidance for businesses seeking to make claims on issues such as:
- environmental and organic merits
- country and place of origin.
Lastly, the guide features some information on competition law and product safety requirements, with links to further information.
The ACCC will update this guide when required. You should check this website periodically for the latest version of this guide.