Company or individual details
- Super A-Mart Pty Ltd009 810 324
Super A-Mart is a furniture retailer, with 24 stores across Queensland, New South Wales and Western Australia. It regularly promotes its sales via catalogues, television and radio advertisements.
Some of Super A-Mart’s advertisements in 2007 contained representations which were qualified by fine print disclaimers which were not sufficiently prominent and were too imprecise to adequately qualify the representations.
The ACCC considers Super A-Mart’s conduct may constitute misleading and deceptive conduct in contravention of section 52 of the Trade Practices Act. Super A-Mart admits the conduct and acknowledges the ACCC’s concerns.
Super A-Mart provided undertakings that it will:
- clearly label display stock as not for sale
- review the size of symbols used in its catalogues (such as asterisks) which are intended to refer consumers to qualifying terms and conditions located elsewhere in the catalogue
- review the wording used in disclaimers (written and oral)
- display public notices in store and on its website
- review and, if necessary, improve its internal Catalogue Review Process and TV and Radio Advertisement Review Process, to increase the accuracy and consistency of its advertising
- implement a Trade Practices Compliance Program, including Trade Practices training.