Company or individual details
- Islanders Board of Industry & Service (IBIS)6250208
The Island Industries Board is a body corporate under section 52(2) of the Community Services (Torres Strait) Act 1984, Queensland. This Board operates under the registered business name of Islanders Board of Industry & Service (IBIS). IBIS operates 14 general stores in the outer Torres Strait Islands where it sells to consumers general items including groceries.
The Commission was concerned that when implementing the new tax system changes IBIS had increased some of its prices by more than it should have and were at risk of breaching the price exploitation provisions (s75AU).
IBIS have provided undertakings that include:
- the review of prices to ensure that IBIS correctly pass on all tax savings to its customers;
- discounts of 5% on all items for one month;
- corrective apologies in all stores; and
- the implementation of a Trade Practices Compliance Program.