Company or individual details
- Coast to Coast Imports Pty Ltd095 633 300
Coast to Coast Imports Pty Ltd is an importer and wholesaler of consumer products and supplies to retail outlets throughout Australia.
In October 2008, as part of marketplace monitoring, ACCC staff purchased a packet of elastic luggage straps (“6 Pce Stretch Cord 12’18’24) from a retail outlet located in Perth. The product was supplied by Coast to Coast Imports and did not comply with the mandatory standard because the warning label was not permanently attached.
By supplying the product without a permanent warning label attached as required by the Trade Practices (Consumer Product Safety Standards) Regulations 1979, Coast to Coast Imports has acknowledged that it contravened section 65C of the Trade Practices Act 1974.
The ACCC has accepted court enforceable undertakings from Coast to Coast Imports Pty Ltd that it:
- has ceased the supply of the elastic luggage strap that does not comply with the mandatory standard;
- will conduct an audit of its range of products to identify any products that do not comply with the mandatory standard and, if any products are found, ensure they are immediately withdrawn from sale;
- will cause an Information Notice to be displayed at the main service counter of each of the Bargain/Discount retail outlets that sold the product advising consumers that the product did not comply with the mandatory standard and offering consumers a full refund on return of the product, and
- develop and implement a trade practices compliance program which includes trade practices law compliance training for relevant staff and a corporate complaints handling system to ensure similar potential breaches of the Act do not occur in the future.