Company or individual details
- Asia Source Australia Pty Ltd099 221 931
The ACCC accepted the court-enforceable undertaking from Asia Source Australia Pty Ltd to stop the supply of elastic luggage straps with warning labels that failed the mandatory product safety standard. Asia Source Australia supplied these elastic luggage straps which it imported from China, under the brands ‘Porta Hardware’ and ‘Bilst’ mainly to discount variety stores.
The ACCC was concerned that the straps supplied by Asia Source Australia failed the product safety standard because the warning label had incorrect information and was not permanently attached to the straps. To use these straps it was necessary to pull the end hook piece over the label causing the label to become detached.
Asia Source Australia has undertaken to:
- cease sale of the ‘Porta Hardware’ and ‘Bilst’ elastic luggage straps;
- establish a process for voluntarily recalling the straps from retail stores;
- arrange for the display of in-store notices to inform consumers about how to return the straps for a refund of the purchase price;
- refrain in the future from supplying elastic luggage straps with labels that do not comply with the mandatory product safety standard; and
- implement a trade practices compliance program.