- liquor licence in Geelong VIC
SummaryWoolworths proposed to acquire a takeaway packaged liquor licence located at 310 Latrobe Terrace, Geelong Victoria. The Licence traded as "Cellarbrations on Latrobe".
Market definitionThe ACCC considered the proposed acquisition in the context of the following markets:
- the local market for the retail sale of liquor for off-premises consumption within a 2-5km radius of the location of the target site in Geelong, Victoria; and
- the Victorian market for the wholesale supply of packaged liquor for subsequent sale in the retail market for off-premises consumption.
Competition analysisThe ACCC concluded that the proposed acquisition was unlikely to substantially lessen competition in the relevant markets. In forming this view, the ACCC had regard to the following factors:
- in the local retail market, the presence of a number of other independent retail liquor outlets; and
- in the Victorian wholesale market, the proposed acquisition was unlikely to significantly increase the buying power of Woolworths, nor diminish the buying power of competing wholesale purchasers.
|15/01/2010||ACCC commenced review under the Merger Review Process Guidelines. Market inquiries commenced.|
|29/01/2010||Closing date for submissions from interested parties.|
|04/02/2010||ACCC announced it would not oppose the proposed acquisition.|