Transpacific Industries Group Ltd - acquisition of a 75% interest in the landfill and recycling operations at 343 Bowhill Rd Willawong, Queensland

Acquirer(s)

  • Transpacific Industries Group Ltd

Target(s)

  • Willawong Landfill

Summary

Transpacific has purchased a 75% interest from Kevyn Anderson Construction and Demolition Waste Services Pty Ltd in the business and assets of the landfill and recycling operation at 343 Bowhill Rd, Willawong QLD through a newly created joint venture (the remaining 25% of which will be held by Kevyn Anderson).

Market definition

South-east Queensland markets for waste disposal and recycling services.

Competition analysis

On 20 November 2007, the ACCC announced its decision not to oppose the acquisition by Transpacific of a 75% interest in the landfill and recycling operations at 343 Bowhill Rd Willawong, Queensland (Willawong).

The ACCC considered the information provided by Transpacific and other information available to it. Based on that information, the ACCC considered that the acquisition of Willawong was unlikely to substantially lessen competition in the south-east Queensland market for waste disposal and recycling services due to the existence of alternative competitive providers which will remain available to customers.

Timeline

DateEvent
03/10/2007Transpacific acquired a 75% interest in the landfill and recycling operation at 343 Bowhill Rd Willawong, QLD.
23/10/2007ACCC commenced review under Merger Review Process Guidelines. Market inquiries commenced.
29/10/2007ACCC requested further information from Transpacific. ACCC timeline suspended.
06/11/2007ACCC received further information from TPI. ACCC timeline recommenced.
07/11/2007Closing date for submissions from interested parties.
20/11/2007ACCC announced it would not oppose the proposed acquisition.