- Endeavour Shipping Pty Ltd
SummarySea Swift Pty Ltd's acquisition of Endeavour Shipping Pty Ltd.
Market definitionThe separate markets for the supply of shipping (freight and/or passenger) services from Cairns to each of:
- Horn Island; and
- the outer Torres Strait islands.
Competition analysisThe ACCC considered a substantial lessening of competition would be unlikely to arise in any relevant market as a result of the acquisition. Factors informing the ACCC's view included:
- Perkins Shipping Pty Ltd (Perkins) is likely to continue to provide strong competition to Sea Swift on the Cairns-to-Weipa route;
- Sea Swift is likely to be constrained on the remaining shipping routes given the potential ability and incentive for new entry and expansion by other shipping service suppliers; and
- barriers to entry to any of the relevant markets do not appear to be substantial, as reflected in the recent history of entry including Perkins entry to the Cairns-to-Weipa route.
|02/10/2008||Sea Swift Pty Ltd acquired certain assets of Endeavour Shipping Pty Ltd.|
|24/10/2008||ACCC received a submission from Sea Swift Pty Ltd. ACCC commenced review under the Merger Review Process Guidelines.|
|10/11/2008||Former closing date for submissions from interested parties.|
|27/11/2008||Closing date for submissions from interested parties.|
|04/12/2008||ACCC announced it would not oppose the proposed acquisition.|