- Consolidated Nuts (Australia) Pty Ltd
SummaryMacadamia Processing Co Ltd (MPC) and Consolidated Nuts (Australia) Pty Ltd (CNA) propose to jointly develop a new facility for the processing of macadamia nuts in shell along with a macadamia kernel wholesaling entity.
Market definitionThe ACCC considered the competitive effects of the proposed acquisition in the context of the following markets:
- the market for the acquisition of macadamia nuts in shell, encompassing the growing region in NSW and Queensland; and
- the national market for the supply of macadamia kernel.
Competition analysisThe ACCC concluded that the proposed acquisition was unlikely to result in a substantial lessening of competition in the relevant markets. In forming this view, the ACCC had regard to the following factors:
- in the acquisition market, a number of processors would remain in the market who would act as a competitive constraint on the ability of the joint venture to reduce the prices paid to growers of macadamia nuts in shell; and
- in the wholesale market, the ability of the joint venture to increase prices would be constrained by a number of rival vertically integrated wholesale suppliers of kernel.
|06/10/2010||ACCC commenced review under the Merger Review Process Guidelines.|
|20/10/2010||Closing date for submissions from interested parties.|
|04/11/2010||ACCC announced it would not oppose the proposed acquisition.|