- James Group
SummaryBoom Logistics Ltd - acquisitions of the James Group, Camilleri Industries Australia and Sherrin Hire. Boom Logistics Ltd provides lifting solutions to companies including the provision of crane-hire services. James Group, Camilleri Industries Australia and Sherrin Hire provided crane-hire services prior to the acquisitions. James Group also had an exclusive distributorship arrangement with Tadano cranes, which has also been acquired by Boom Logistics Ltd.
Market definitionThe ACCC considered the following markets in its review of Boom Logistics Ltd's acquisitions:
- Regional markets for wet and dry hire of franna and other small cranes;
- Regional markets for wet and dry hire of associated lifting equipment;
- A national market for the wet and dry hire of crawler and pin jib cranes;
- A national market for the wet and dry hire of tower cranes;
- A state-wide market for wet and dry hire of rough terrain cranes;
- A state-wide market for wet and dry hire of all terrain and hydraulic cranes; and
- A national market for the sale and distribution of cranes.
Competition analysisThe ACCC considers that Boom Logistics Ltd faces sufficient competitive constraints post-acquisitions and that the acquisitions are unlikely to have caused a substantial lessening of competition in any of the relevant markets. This conclusion is informed by the following factors:
- There are substitutes available to customers in the supply of cranes;
- There are other crane-hire competitors available in each relevant crane-hire market; and
- Customers of wet and dry hire of rough terrain, all terrain and hydraulic cranes have some countervailing power.
|25/08/2006||ACCC commences review under the Merger Review Process Guidelines.|
|01/09/2006||Market inquiries commence.|
|12/09/2006||Closing date for submissions from interested parties.|
|26/09/2006||ACCC decided not to oppose the acquisitions|