On 11 October 2017, Qantas Airways Limited (Qantas) and Emirates applied for re-authorisation to continue to coordinate of their operations under a Restated Master Coordination Agreement (Restated MCA).
Under the Restated MCA, Qantas and Emirates propose to cooperate for a further period of five years across their global networks, including in relation to:
- planning, scheduling, operating and capacity;
- sales, marketing, advertising, promotion, distribution strategies, reservation priority and pricing for passengers, freight customers and agents;
- connectivity and integration of certain routes;
- codeshare and interline arrangements;
- control of inventories and yield management functions;
- frequent flyer programs;
- all aspects service to customers, including ground services and lounge access;
- harmonising service and product standards in order to provide a seamless product to passengers;
- harmonising IT systems;
- joint airport facilities;
- joint offices for sales activities;
- potentially other aspects of operations including ground handling, joint procurement and flight operations;
- where appropriate and mutually agreed, making joint submissions to authorities on operational matters.
On 16 February 2018, the ACCC released a draft determination proposing to grant re-authorisation, subject to conditions, for a further five years.
Submissions about the draft determination are due by 7 March 2018.
A copy of the draft determination, and the ACCC’s correspondence about the draft determination which provides details about how to make a submission, are available from the links below.
|ACCC to Applicants re Draft Determination ( PDF 391.89 KB )||16 Feb 2018|
|ACCC to Interested Parties re Draft Determination ( PDF 385.39 KB )||16 Feb 2018|
|ACCC to Applicant re Material Excluded from Public Register ( PDF 170.42 KB )||23 Oct 2017|
|ACCC to Applicant re Interested Party Consultation ( PDF 171.7 KB )||23 Oct 2017|
|ACCC to Interested Parties re Consultation Process ( PDF 221.15 KB )||23 Oct 2017|
|ACCC to Applicant (Qantas) re Request for Further Information ( PDF 169.6 KB )||16 Nov 2017|
|ACCC to Applicant (Qantas) re Material Excluded from Public Register ( PDF 175.27 KB )||19 Dec 2017|
|ACCC to Applicant (Emirates) re Request for Further Information ( PDF 164.08 KB )||16 Nov 2017|
|ACCC to Applicant (Emirates) re Material Excluded from Public Register ( PDF 174.6 KB )||19 Dec 2017|
|Show all documents (6 more)|
Submissions - before draft decision
|The Australian Federation of Travel Agents ( PDF 336.8 KB )||14 Nov 2017|
|Perth Airport ( PDF 84.04 KB )||13 Nov 2017|
|Adelaide Airport ( PDF 73.69 KB )||9 Nov 2017|
|Dept. Infrastructure and Regulation Development ( PDF 318.39 KB )||27 Nov 2017|
|Jumpjet Airlines Limited ( PDF 343.2 KB )||24 Nov 2017|
|Applicant (Qantas) ( PDF 458.3 KB )||1 Dec 2017|
|Show all documents (3 more)|