On this page
- provides a forum to obtain feedback on ways to improve the ACCC’s effectiveness and efficiency in achieving product safety objectives
- enables the ACCC to consult on significant product safety projects
- facilitates awareness-raising among members’ networks of ACCC product safety activity
- enables members to alert the ACCC to new and emerging product safety concerns.
How the committee works
The committee is convened by the ACCC Deputy Chair with a special interest in consumer issues.
Members provide comment to us on product safety issues affecting consumers that fall within the scope of our administration of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010, assisting us to:
- improve consumer and community understanding of the role of the ACCC
- facilitate consumer and community organisations’ access to administrative processes of the ACCC
- educate consumers/users about their rights and responsibilities in relation to emerging consumer issues
- develop education and information strategies.
The committee meets at least 2 times a year.
Members are appointed across a diverse range of stakeholder groups including consumer and health advocates, industry associations and business executives with a focus on product safety, and product safety advisors, legal experts and academics.
Members are appointed for a 2 year term, at which point membership will be reviewed with consideration given to ensuring a broad range of organisations have the opportunity to participate.
- Consumer: CHOICE
- Consumer: KidSafe
- Injury prevention: Australasian Injury Prevention Network
- Injury prevention: Queensland Injury Surveillance Unit
- Industry: Australian Toy Association
- Industry: National Retail Association
- Industry: Accord
- Major retailer: Wesfarmers
- Major retailer: IKEA
- Online platform: eBay
- Discount variety store: The Reject Shop
- Government: Qld Office of FT (chair of ACL regulators’ Consumer Product Safety Network)
- Government: Treasury
- Legal: Annette Hughes (Corrs Chambers Westgarth)
- Academia: Kirsten Vallmuur (Queensland University of Technology)
- Product safety advisory: Watchdog Compliance.