On 25 May 2017, the Australian Government directed the ACCC to conduct a wide-ranging inquiry into the supply of residential building (home), contents and strata insurance in northern Australia.
Our inquiry, which commenced on 1 July 2017, will help to address concerns about insurance availability and affordability, promote more informed and more competitive insurance markets, and make a difference for consumers in northern Australia.
On 18 December 2018, we released our first interim report for the inquiry.
On 20 December 2019, we released our second interim report.
Our third and final report is due to the Treasurer on 30 November 2020.
Scope of inquiry
Matters to be considered by the inquiry shall include, but not be restricted to:
- pricing and availability of insurance to consumers in northern Australia
- key cost components of insurance pricing in northern Australia and how they have changed over time, particularly catastrophe risk
- terms and conditions on which insurance is supplied
- competitiveness of markets for insurance in northern Australia
- existence and extent of any barriers to entry, expansion and/or exit in the supply of insurance in northern Australia
- any impediments to consumer choice, including transaction costs, a lack of transparent information, or other factors
- identifying any regulatory issues, or market participant behaviour or practices that may not be supporting the development of competitive markets for insurance in northern Australia
- the profitability of insurers through time and the extent to which profits are, or are expected to be commensurate with risk.
|Terms of reference||25 May 2017|
|Issues paper||24 October 2017|
|Public forums||15 November 2017|
|Submissions to issues paper||9 April 2018|
|First update report||8 June 2018|
|First interim report||18 December 2018|
|Submissions to first interim report||29 May 2019|
|Ministerial letter - Townsville floods||30 July 2019|
|Second update report||30 July 2019|
|Submissions to second update report||23 September 2019|
|Second interim report||20 December 2019|
General enquiries: email@example.com