The ACCC will be examining the provision of web browsers and general search services to Australian consumers and the effectiveness of choice screens in facilitating competition and improving consumer choice. The ACCC will also be providing its advice to the Australian Government on Google’s rollout of search engine choice options on new Android devices in Europe.
Issues to be examined include:
- the impact of pre-installation and default settings on consumer choice and competition
- trends in digital ecosystems and supplier behaviour in search services and web browsers
- the extent to which consumer harm can arise from the design of default arrangements
- the effectiveness of Google’s choice screen roll out in Europe and whether it is fit for purpose in Australia
- any proposals, other than choice screens, that may facilitate competition and improve consumer choice in the supply of general search services and potentially, web browsers.
The third interim report for the Digital Platform Services Inquiry will be due to the Treasurer by 30 September 2021.