The ACCC will be examining potential competition and consumer issues in the provision of general online retail marketplaces to consumers in Australia.
Issues to be examined include:
- intensity of competition in the relevant markets
- trends in online shopping and general online retail marketplaces
- the conduct of marketplaces in their roles as platforms to facilitate interaction between third party sellers and consumers; including, where marketplaces also supply their own products on their platform, the impact that these sales and associated practices may have on competition with third-party sellers
- relationships between marketplaces and third party sellers
- relationships between marketplaces and consumers, as well as third party sellers and consumers.
The fourth interim report for the Digital Platform Services Inquiry is due to the Treasurer by 31 March 2022.