About water brokers and exchanges
Water brokers and exchanges are sometimes referred to as water market intermediaries.
They play an important role in the water market bringing buyers and sellers together, reducing search costs and improving information flows.
Water brokers perform a similar function to mortgage brokers. On behalf of their clients, they:
- investigate trading options
- arrange the necessary paperwork
- help obtain regulatory approvals.
Water exchanges are a trading platform. They:
- match buyers and sellers through an automated process or bulletin board
- organise and submit the necessary paperwork to trade approval authorities.