About the Hunter Valley rail network
The network is mainly used to transport coal
The Hunter Valley rail network is in the Hunter Valley region of New South Wales. The full title of the undertaking document is the Hunter Valley Coal Network Access Undertaking.
The network is mainly used to transport coal:
- from mines in the Hunter Valley region to the Port of Newcastle for export
- to domestic customers, such as power stations.
It is also used by non-coal traffic, including:
- general and bulk freight services, such as grain
- passenger services.
The provider is the Australian Rail Track Corporation
The Australian Rail Track Corporation (ARTC) manages the Hunter Valley rail network.
It is a rail infrastructure provider that:
- was formed out of a 1997 inter-governmental agreement between the Commonwealth of Australia and the states of New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, Western Australia and South Australia
- is vertically separated, providing ‘below-rail’ services, such as the rail track infrastructure, but not ‘above-rail’ services, such as haulage
- provides a single contact for parties wanting to run trains on the Interstate rail network and the Hunter Valley rail network in New South Wales.
Hunter Valley rail network regulation
About the access undertaking and rail network regulation
Access for coal producers and customers to the Australian Rail Track Corporation’s Hunter Valley rail network is regulated through a voluntary access undertaking.
Access undertakings allow infrastructure owners and operators to give other parties access to their infrastructure services. Undertakings are one method to facilitate access to services under the national access regime and are described in Part IIIA of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010.
The access undertaking covers the terms and conditions of access to the Hunter Valley rail network.
Current version of the access undertaking
We accepted Australian Rail Track Corporation’s access undertaking on 29 June 2011.
Since we accepted the first undertaking in 2011, we have accepted numerous variations to the undertaking.
The current version is:
Access undertaking application projects
See a complete list of rail projects.
Current undertaking application projects
There are currently no undertaking application projects.
Past undertaking application projects