• Talk to the contract provider to see if they can resolve the issue e.g. by amending or removing the term. Speaking to the other party first could save you time and money – and lead to a better outcome.
  • Disputes over the fairness of a particular term may also be resolved through alternative dispute resolution schemes or industry ombudsmen.
  • If the contract provider is unwilling to address your concerns, you should talk to a lawyer about your options regarding taking your own court action to enforce your rights under the law. You may be entitled to take your complaint to your local state and territory small claims tribunal.
  • You can also make a complaint to the ACCC or your state and territory consumer protection agency. Complaints relating to financial products and services should be made to the Australian Securities and Investments Commission.

For more information about unfair contract terms, visit the Unfair contract termspage when dealing with other businesses and Unfair business practices page when dealing with your customers.


On this page