Remember these practical steps all businesses can take to protect themselves from scams:
- Remember: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Provide your employees with information about scams and how to avoid them.
- Never provide personal information and banking details to anybody you don’t know and trust.
- Consider what business information you post on social media and networking sites, as scammers use publicly available information to target businesses.
- Don’t let tactics like bullying, negotiations for a lower price, or charges for unordered or unused goods affect your decision.
- Keep your filing and accounting systems well organised, and have clear procedures for verifying, paying and managing accounts and invoices.
- Keep your devices secure. Install computer protection software and a firewall, and change your passwords regularly.