Make a complaint as a business

When making a complaint follow the steps below.

Step 1 – Contact the supplier for problems with supplied goods

If your complaint relates to a problem with supplied goods or services, contact the supplier as soon as possible to explain the problem and the outcome you want.

It is a good idea to put your concerns in writing – that way, the supplier is aware of the problem and your desired outcome, and you have a dated record of your contact.

How to write a complaint letter

Step 2 – Contact the ACCC or another third party

If you are having difficulty resolving a problem with supplied goods, there are various agencies you can contact. The best place to go will depend on your circumstances.

If you wish to report the potentially unlawful behaviour of another business, contact the ACCC.



Small business commissioners

Advocacy, referrals and dispute resolution services

The Australian Small Business Commissioner provides advocacy and referral services. State Small Business Commissioners in New South Wales, South Australia, Victoria and Western Australia provide advice and dispute resolution services.

State and territory consumer protection agencies

Problems with supplied goods

The local consumer protection agency in your state or territory (sometimes called 'consumer affairs' or 'Fair trading') can provide you with information about your rights and options. They may also be able to help negotiate a resolution between you and the supplier.

Industry ombudsmen and dispute resolution schemes

Problems with supplied goods

Some industries have a national ombudsman (such as the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman and the Financial Industry Ombudsman) and other industries (such as energy) have an ombudsman or dispute resolution office in each state and territory.


Problems with supplied goods

The ACCC can give you information about your consumer rights (as a business) and obligations and suggest possible courses of action you might take.

Reporting potentially unlawful business behaviour

The ACCC can investigate alleged breaches of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 and where necessary, take legal action against businesses that break the law.

Step 3 – Take legal action

Consider getting independent legal advice about what options are available and suit your circumstances. Your local community legal centre, legal aid office, or your lawyer could give you some advice.

You may be entitled to take your complaint to the small claims court or tribunal in your state or territory.

For disputes involving large sums of money, you may be able to take private legal action. Make sure that you get legal advice first, as legal action can be expensive and there is no guarantee that you will be successful.