You can take practical steps to protect yourself from scams:
- Remember: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Never provide personal information and banking details to anybody you don’t know and trust.
- Keep your devices secure. Install computer protection software and a firewall, and change your passwords regularly.
- Be wary of unsolicited emails, phone calls or letters saying you have unclaimed funds or are owed money.
- Consider what information you post on social media and networking sites, as scammers use publicly available information to target victims.
- Keep your filing and accounting systems well organised, and have clear procedures for verifying, paying and managing accounts and invoices.
- Don’t be bullied or pressured into paying for goods you didn’t order.