Product safety and liability
Australia has a national product safety system and Module 10 covers safety standards, recalls, bans, safety warning notices and mandatory reporting requirements. The module describes the remedies available to consumers in the event of injury, loss or damage as a result of unsafe products or product-related services.
The ACL :
- makes it unlawful for businesses to supply consumer goods and product-related services that do not comply with certain safety standards
- provides for unsafe goods and product-related services to be banned or recalled, or warning notices issued about them
- enables the making and enforcement of information standards
- requires suppliers to report incidents in which their products may have caused death or serious injury or illness
- imposes legal responsibility (liability) on the manufacturers of unsafe products to compensate those to whom they cause injury, loss or damage.