The Small Business and Franchising Consultative Committee was established by the ACCC to provide a forum where competition and consumer law concerns related to the small business and franchising sectors could be discussed by industry and government.
The committee meetings are usually held twice a year and are chaired by our Deputy Chair Mick Keogh.
Members are drawn from a range of areas and include industry associations, legal and business advisers, and academics, with a focus on ensuring membership represents the interests of the broader small business sector.
Appointment to the committee is at our discretion and members are typically appointed for a period of 2 years.
We do not pay sitting fees or reimburse travel costs for participation – members must meet their own expenses.
Members are invited to discuss and comment on the following:
- issues affecting the small business and franchising sectors that fall within the scope of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 and the Franchising Code of Conduct
- emerging issues or market developments impacting on the small business and franchising sectors
- education and information strategies developed and undertaken by the ACCC to assist the small business and franchising sectors.
The current membership of the committee, listed below, has been appointed until 31 December 2022. This is a result of the ACCC extending the tenure of membership by 1 year for those members that wished to continue. The membership was originally formed on 1 January 2020.
- Australasian Association of Convenience Stores Limited
- Australian Association of Franchisees
- Australasian Convenience and Petroleum Marketers Association
- Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Australian Federation of Travel Agents
- Australian Lottery and Newsagents Association
- Australian Retailers Association
- Business Council of Co-operatives and Mutuals
- Council of Small Business Organisations Australia
- Franchise Council of Australia
- Independent Contractors Australia Inc. (trading as Self Employed Australia)
- Institute of Public Accountants
- Law Council's SME Committee
- Master Grocers Australia Ltd
- Motor Trades Association of Australia
- The Pharmacy Guild of Australia
- Real Estate Institute of Australia
- Tasmanian Small Business Council
- Deakin University
- Monash Business School
- UNSW Business School
- University of Sydney
- BEC Australia Ltd
- Business Development Alliance
- Franchise Advisory Centre
- Franchise Relationships Institute
- HWL Ebsworth Lawyers
- MST Lawyers
Observers from various government agencies and departments also participate in committee meetings.