The Small Business and Franchising Consultative Committee was established by the ACCC to provide a forum where competition and consumer law concerns related to the small business and franchising sectors could be discussed by industry and government.
The committee meetings are held twice a year, and are chaired by our Deputy Chair Dr Michael Schaper.
Members are drawn from a range of areas and include industry associations, small businesses, legal and business advisors and academics, with a focus on ensuring membership represents the interests of the broader small business sector.
Appointment to the committee is at our discretion and members typically hold office for a period of two years.
We do not pay sitting fees or reimburse travel costs for participation – members must meet their own expenses.
Members are invited to discuss and comment on the following:
- issues affecting the small business and franchising sectors that fall within the scope of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 and the Franchising Code of Conduct
- emerging issues or market developments impacting on the small business and franchising sectors
- education and information strategies developed and undertaken by the ACCC to assist the small business and franchising sectors.
- Australasian Association of Convenience Stores – Jeff Rogut
- Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry – Stephen Ferguson
- Australian Lottery and Newsagents’ Federation – Ben Kearney
- Australian Retailers Association – Russell Zimmerman
- Business Council of Co-operatives and Mutuals – Melina Morrison
- Business Incubation and Innovation Australia – Phillip Kemp
- Council of Small Businesses of Australia – Paul Nielsen
- Curtin Business School – Dr Paull Weber
- Franchise Advisory Centre – Jason Gehrke
- Franchise Council of Australia – Damian Paull
- Franchise Relationships Institute – Greg Nathan
- Franchisee Association of Australia – The Hon. David Beddall
- Franchisee Success – Elizabeth Gillam
- FRANdata – Darryn McAuliffe
- Institute of Public Accountants – Andrew Conway
- Law Council of Australia – Jon Clarke
- Master Builders Australia – Dr Brent Davis
- Master Grocers Australia – Jos de Bruin
- McInnes Wilson Lawyers – Alicia Hill
- Motor Trades Association of Australia – Richard Dudley
- Real Estate Institute of Australia – Jock Kreitals
- Restaurant & Catering Industry Association – Sally Neville
- Self Employed Australia – Ken Phillips
- Tasmanian Small Business Council – Geoff Fader
- The Pharmacy Guild of Australia – David Quilty
- University of NSW Business School – Dr Jenny Buchan
- University of Sydney – Professor Andrew Terry
Observers from various government agencies and departments also participate in meetings of the committee.