The Small Business and Franchising Consultative Committee was established by the ACCC to provide a forum where competition and consumer law concerns related to the small business and franchising sectors could be discussed by industry and government.
The committee meetings are held twice a year, and are chaired by our Deputy Chair Mick Keogh.
Members are drawn from a range of areas and include industry associations, small businesses, legal and business advisors and academics, with a focus on ensuring membership represents the interests of the broader small business sector.
Appointment to the committee is at our discretion and members are typically appointed for a period of two years.
We do not pay sitting fees or reimburse travel costs for participation – members must meet their own expenses.
Members are invited to discuss and comment on the following:
- issues affecting the small business and franchising sectors that fall within the scope of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 and the Franchising Code of Conduct
- emerging issues or market developments impacting on the small business and franchising sectors
- education and information strategies developed and undertaken by the ACCC to assist the small business and franchising sectors.
- Australasian Association of Convenience Stores Limited
- Australian Association of Franchisees
- Australasian Convenience and Petroleum Marketers Association
- Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Australian Federation of Travel Agents
- Australian Lottery and Newsagents Association
- Australian Retailers Association
- Business Council of Co-operatives and Mutuals
- Council of Small Business Organisations Australia
- Franchise Council of Australia
- Independent Contractors Australia Inc. (trading as Self Employed Australia)
- Institute of Public Accountants
- Law Council's SME Committee
- Master Grocers Australia Ltd
- Motor Trades Association of Australia
- The Pharmacy Guild of Australia
- Real Estate Institute of Australia
- Tasmanian Small Business Council
- Deakin University
- Monash Business School
- UNSW Business School
- University of Sydney
- BEC Australia Ltd
- Business Development Alliance
- Franchise Advisory Centre
- Franchise Relationships Institute
- HWL Ebsworth Lawyers
- MST Lawyers
Observers from various government agencies and departments also participate in meetings of the committee.