ACCC's fuel monitoring role
While the ACCC does not set fuel prices, we monitor retail fuel prices on a daily basis. New arrangements for ACCC monitoring of the Australian petroleum industry are in place from 2015.
The ACCC monitors retail prices of unleaded petrol, diesel and LPG in all Australian capital cities and in around 180 regional locations. This enables us to provide you with information about fuel prices, including petrol price cycles in the larger cities.
Where we see issues of concern we will investigate. And, where we find sufficient evidence we will take action to protect consumers against misleading and anti-competitive conduct by fuel retailers.
When instructed by the Minister, we also monitor the prices, costs and profits relating to the supply of unleaded petroleum products in the Australian petroleum industry.
- Quarterly report on the Australian petroleum industry - February 2015
- Ministerial direction & letter 2014 [ pdf (131.45 KB) ]
- Monitoring of the Australian petroleum industry - all reports
- Monitoring of the Australian petroleum industry - Report of the ACCC into the prices, costs and profits of unleaded petrol in Australia 2014, December 2014
- Ministerial direction 2013 [ pdf (341.15 KB) ]
- Ministerial letter 2013 [ pdf (231.26 KB) ]