Cash back offers
Manufacturers of electrical equipment, computers and white goods sometimes offer cash back promotions to encourage you to buy their products. These offers are usually limited in time and have special application conditions you have to meet to get the money.
Cash back offers are usually made in advertisements, in-store promotions or by retail sales staff.
It’s against the law for retailers and manufacturers to mislead or deceive you by offering cash back deals without intending to or failing to provide them. Traders must not mislead you or deceive you about cash back offers.
Read the terms and conditions of the offer carefully before you decide to buy the product and check:
- the date when the offer expires
- waiting times for receiving the offer
- all the steps you need to take to get the cash.
If you decide to buy the product and apply for the cash back offer:
- complete the application carefully to ensure you meet all conditions of the offer (e.g. you may need to include the product serial numbers, bar code and a copy of your receipt)
- keep copies of all documents as evidence in case something goes wrong. You can use the ACCC Shopper app to store your receipts as photos in your phone.